A Day in the Life – 12 Weeks

January 15, 2015

We are now moving into Cullen’s third month of life, so I wanted to recap what our days are like compared to our schedule when he was one month old.

Our days vary from one day to the next. Some days we run errands in the afternoon, other days we stay home all day. He’s on a pretty consistent schedule napping/awake schedule being up for two hours and then going to bed for an hour. But then again there are days like yesterday when it was different. Here’s a look at our schedule yesterday. Beware, it’s a lengthy post.


3:35 a.m. I wake up and count the hours. Woohoo! 5 hours of sleep.

3:50 a.m. Cullen wakes up. I feed him and he falls back to sleep.

4:10 a.m. I crawl back into bed, but since I am some-what rested, I have a hard time falling back asleep. (This has been a problem for me.) I toss and turn and try counting down from 100. I have no idea how long it took me to fall back to sleep–30 minutes, 45??

6:00 a.m. My alarm goes off. Time to run. I get up, put my running clothes on, pop a couple of Clif Shot Bloks, and brush my teeth. (I don’t run every morning. Some days I sleep until 10 a.m. if we had a rough night. I’ve worked it out so I am only running early in the morning twice a week.)

6:15 a.m. Even though Cullen is still sleeping, I feed him for my sake and the fact I am not convinced he will make it until I get back. He usually wakes up every 1.5 – 2 hours after the first wake-up of the night, so the fact he’s gone this long is really good.

6:30 a.m. I let Craig know he’s on baby-duty, and I head out the door for my run. I was hoping to run 3 or 4 miles, but after a mile I knew I needed to turn around and go back home. My C-section incision area was not feeling quite right, so I walked/ran the rest of the way back home. (See this post for more on my return to running postpartum.)


7:00 a.m. I return home and hear Cullen moaning and groaning. He is always so gassy in the mornings. I pick him up, burp him, and he immediately falls back asleep.

7:10 a.m. I feed Sadie, and then foam roll while checking my e-mail and Facebook.

7:25 a.m. Cullen is moaning and groaning again. Poor guy. I pick him up, burp him, change his diaper, and then feed him.

7:40 a.m. Time for some breakfast. Oatmeal with frozen berries, chia seeds, walnuts, and cinnamon. I also have a slice of whole wheat homemade bread I made yesterday. While prepping and eating breakfast, I simultaneously put clean dishes away and clean up the kitchen.


8:00 a.m. I start working on this blog post, register for our PFDs (personal fund dividends–i.e. the money we get paid to live in Alaska), buy fish oil, and ice my incision.

8:30 a.m. Cullen wakes up, so I hold him, which seems to help his gas. We hang out and talk. (Okay, I talk, he listens and occasionally coos and smiles.)

9:00 a.m. Time for a diaper change after hearing him poop. I get him dressed for the day, and then we play on the play mat while listening to Baby Bach.


9:30 a.m. Cullen is very happy kicking on his play mat, so I jump in the shower.


9:45 a.m. Not happy anymore, which means it is time for a snack and back to bed.

10:00 a.m. I finish getting ready and pick up around our bedroom–making the bed and tidying up.

10:30 a.m. Snack time for me: almonds, Triscuts, and Laughing Cow Cheese.


10:40 a.m. A poop explosion and blow-out for Cullen. We change into outfit number two for the day. I take care of Cullen’s dirty clothes and fold a load of laundry from the day before.

11:20 a.m. I put Cullen in the Ergo and attempt to make lunch.

11:30 a.m. I don’t get too far because Cullen shows signs he’s hungry, so I feed him.

12:00 p.m. Finish making lunch and eat. Sweet potato with coconut oil/butter (try it!), Ezekiel bread with avocado and nutritional yeast, and garliky pinto beans. Random but what I wanted and what needed to be used up in the fridge.


12:30 p.m. Cullen has now fallen asleep in the Ergo, so we walk Sadie through the neighborhood.

1:00 p.m. Return home and Cullen continues to sleep on my chest.


1:30 p.m. He wakes up. I try to rock him to sleep as I can tell he is still tired but he cries hysterically (no idea why!), so I feed him to calm him down. I set him in his crib, but he wakes up, so we go down to the kitchen to clean up from lunch. I also make a pie crust for dinner that night.

2:35 p.m. Cullen is getting fussy, so I feed him, and he goes down for a nap.

2:55 p.m. I should nap too, but I instead work on my runners’ plans. (I am not good at napping and end up feeling more tired afterwards.)

3:30 p.m. Cullen wakes up. I can tell he is still tired, so I feed and hold him while he sleeps. It’s a little difficult to do computer work this way, but I love it when he sleeps on my chest.

5:00 p.m. Craig gets home. Cullen is still sleeping, so I lay him down and start dinner. I have some random snacks because I know dinner won’t be ready for a while.


5:45 p.m. Cullen wakes up. (He never sleeps that long at home! He will sleep 3 hours in his car seat but not in his crib.) I take him downstairs to the kitchen and he hangs out while I finish dinner.

6:15 p.m. Bath time for Cullen while dinner bakes.

7:00 p.m. Craig and I eat dinner: Mushroom and Gruyere Quiche, which I highly recommend making. I made it once before and plan to make it again and again.


7:15 p.m. I start cleaning up the kitchen, but Cullen is tired again, so I feed him and put him down for his last nap of the evening. I finish cleaning up the kitchen and do the dishes.

8:00 p.m. I work on this blog post and get Cullen when he wakes up.

9:00 p.m. Time for another feeding. I try to pump him full before he goes down for the night.

9:30 p.m. I get ready for bed.

10:00 p.m. Once last diaper change and eat, eat, eat Cullen.

10:30 p.m. Lights out!

    1. I can’t believe you can shower while he’s awake! I only ever chance it when mine is asleep. Well done, it sounds like you are adjusting well!

    1. I used to have the same problem with never being able to fall asleep after putting my kiddo back to bed. So frustrating, especially when he’s waking up every hour or two, like you said! Since being back at work it’s been better, knock on wood, since I’m more tired lol. It is crazy how much they sleep at this age! When I was pregnant, I thought he would be awake more to hang out. Nope. (At least not in daytime.)

      1. Since he isn’t awake all that much during the day (although I think it is more than most babies his age), that’s probably why I make sure to spend as much time with him, playing with him and hanging out with him.

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: