A Day in the Life – 4 Weeks Old

November 21, 2014

Cullen is 4 weeks old today!

This was the first onesie I bought when we found out I was expecting.


While each day is different, we’ve got a pretty steady routine from one day to the next. Here’s what our schedule was like on Thursday.

9:00 p.m. (Wednesday night)

I’m ready for bed, but since Cullen didn’t take his long nap until 4:30 p.m., he is not tired, so we hang out, rock, and eat periodically.

10:00 p.m.

He is finally it out, so I set him in his bassinet, but within a few minutes he is awake again. Dad’s still up, so he’s on baby duty, so I can try to get some sleep.

11:30 p.m.

I can’t sleep because Cullen is making baby noises, so I take him, feed him, and rock him until he is out for good this time.

2:00 a.m. (Thursday morning)

I hear Cullen moaning/groaning/fussing, so I get up to feed him, change his diaper, and rock him back to sleep.

2:30 a.m.

Back to bed.

4:45 a.m.

He’s up again: feed, change diaper, rock back to sleep.

5:30 a.m.

I debate about staying up since my alarm is set for 6:00 a.m., but I decide to go back to bed.

6:00 a.m.

Alarm goes off. I get up, put some warm clothes on in order to take Sadie for a walk.

6:15 a.m.

Cullen is up again, so I quick feed him until his eyes get droopy, and then set him back down in his bassinet.

6:30 a.m.

Walk Sadie. It is a little chillier than it has been, but I remind myself it could be worse.

7:00 a.m.

We return home, and I see Craig’s lamp on, which means Cullen woke him up. Bummer.

Craig gets ready for work, while I watch Cullen (He is sleeping again.) and check my e-mail and Facebook.

7:30 a.m.

Craig and I have breakfast and then Craig leaves for work. I empty the dishwasher and clean up the kitchen.


8:00 a.m.

I fold a load of laundry and then check on Cullen. He is still asleep, so I lay down to go back to sleep as well. All of his baby noises intermittently wake me up, so I really don’t sleep.


9:00 a.m.

Cullen starts fussing, so I feed him. While he’s eating, he has a blowout–the worst one so far. A side note about diapers: I have been very impressed with The Honest Company diapers. I have literally only had a blow-out once a week, which seems pretty good to me. I have tried Huggies and Pampers as well. I liked Pampers but was not a fan of Huggies. I would highly recommend The Honest Company diapers to anyone interested!


9:10 a.m.

After the blow-out, I decide a bath is necessary. I bathe Cullen and get him ready for the day. Now he’s a happy, content baby, so I make the bed and pick up around the bedrooms.


10:00 a.m.

I take a shower and start getting ready for the day, but after about 15 minutes, Cullen is hungry again, so we feed him. He hangs out some more, while I finish getting ready.

10:45 a.m.

I can tell Cullen is getting sleepy, so I hold him until he falls asleep.

11:15 a.m.

Make lunch but don’t get a chance to eat it because I hear Cullen crying. Go upstairs, soothe Cullen, feed him, and rock him until he falls asleep again.

12:00 p.m.

Eat lunch, clean up the kitchen, and work on this blog post.


1:15 p.m.

I have somewhere to be at 2:00, so I start getting my things together. I have learned I need to give myself twice as much extra time as I think I should, so I can be to my destination on time. During this time I get the essentials for Cullen: extra diaper, extra change of clothes, blanket, hat, and carseat prepped. For myself, I get water, a snack in case I get hungry, my list of errands, and then I feed Cullen one last time to make sure his belly is nice and full for the afternoon.

2:00 p.m.

Meet up with one of my athletes to go through some lifting exercises.

3:15 p.m.

Pick up a frappe protein smoothie from Fitspresso. I was recently introduced to this healthy coffee/smoothie hut that serves beverages made with real, whole ingredients. I don’t remember what was in this decaf frappe (peanut butter, almond milk, espresso, protein powder–something of that sort), but it was amazing!


3:30 p.m.

Stop at Target for a few items. Cullen wakes up but is nice and content. (The exact opposite of my attempt to shop at Target the day before.)

4:15 p.m.

Arrive home and immediately feed Cullen because he had a melt-down during the car ride home. Poor guy. I hate it when he cries that hard.

4:45 p.m.

Dad arrives home, so I hand Cullen off to him while I get the pizza dough ready for dinner. I roll out the dough and Craig puts the toppings on. (We both know it is best I don’t add the toppings–otherwise it would be a very bland pizza.)

5:30 p.m.

Eat dinner. Craig and I chat about our respective days.

6:00 p.m.

Cullen wakes up and hangs out with Craig while I clean up the kitchen.

6:30 p.m.

Cullen starts fussing, so I feed him and then give him a bath and get him ready for bed. After his bath, he eats some more, and I lay him down because he is out. But that doesn’t last long as I can hear him moaning and groaning within a few minutes. I spend the next hour eat, burping, soothing, and trying to get Cullen down.

8:00 p.m.

He is finally down, and I finish up the blog post and catch up on Facebook news.

9:00 p.m.

Lights out for me.

    1. He is growing so fast already 4 weeks old. It does get easier though.

    1. That all sounds about like I remember it too!!! 🙂 I can’t believe he’s 4 weeks already.

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: