I am in full taper mode for Grandma’s Marathon on Saturday, and I am loving every minute of it. Those of you out there who don’t like to taper. . . . .you’re crazy!
A lot of the things I love about tapering revolve around the extra time to be able to do things I don’t normally have time to do, and here are some of those things.
- I can sleep more. Since my runs haven’t been more than about an hour, I don’t have to get up as early to run. Plus I have time to take daily naps when Cullen naps.
- I actually take the time to foam roll and stretch. My muscles are notoriously tight, and they are finally loosening up.
- Since I am staying at my parent’s right now, I don’t have to be on my feet as much chasing Cullen around and picking up after him because Grandma and Grandpa like spending time with him too.
- It is nice to have a break from intense training. After nine months of very intense training, I’m ready for a break. This break helps me reset for the next training cycle.
- We have more time to do things such as: go to the water park, splash in water puddles, go to the library, and see animals at the zoo. (Actually this is probably more due to being in Minnesota with Grandma and Grandpa.)
- Usually when I have shorter workouts I spend more time in the kitchen. I haven’t done that at my parent’s, but I have been bookmarking many recipes to make when I get back home. Currently on my to-make list is: an amped up banana bread recipe, Healthy Mayo-free Tuna Salad, and Spring Roll Bowls.
- I get to eat all-the-carbs! Normally I continue eating the way I usually do, but I am trying something new this time. For this marathon I did a carb deplete followed by a carb-load. I’ll be sure to write another blog post on how this goes after I complete it.
- I have more time to read some of my favorite blogs: A Foodie Stays Fit, Carrots ‘n’ Cake, and Hungry Runner Girl.
- I also have time to read books! I haven’t gotten into anything yet, but the fact I was able to check out some books from the library and sit down and read them hasn’t happened in a long time. I did watch the movie Unbroken, but I didn’t like it; it was too sad.
In other news. . . .this is what Cullen and I have been up to!
Hanging out on the farm and enjoying the picture-perfect summer weather. . .sunny and 80 degrees, now that’s what I’m talking about! The water in the field is not supposed to be there. We got 4 inches of rain, and my dad wasn’t too happy about it.
I’ve also gotten to experience the summer storms such as thunder and lightening! We have thunder and lightening maybe once a year in Alaska, and it is usually pretty mild. My sister and I drove into this rainstorm the other day. After being in it for a few minutes, we realized we were driving towards a tornado and hail, so we turned around!
We also had lunch with Great-grandma at The Daily Grind–my favorite cafe in town.
Only two more days until the marathon! You can sign up to track my progress but not until the day of, I guess. My bib number is: 6849