A Day in the Life – 18 Months

April 22, 2016

Cullen will be 18 months on Sunday! I am really enjoying this stage of his life. I love that he can walk, eat on his own, he is really interactive, and it is fun to watch him learn new things each day. Someone referred to Cullen as a toddler the other day, and my first thought was, “No he’s not; he’s a baby.” But in reality, he’s more toddler than baby these days, but for the time being he’s still my baby.

I am recapping our day today (Friday) since I am working on Sunday. Our days are always busy and full of adventures. We often are just hanging out at home, but that’s fine for this home-body. I often have second runs and strength sessions, so we can also be found at the gym or in the stroller. Cullen still loves the stroller (thankfully!), being outside, playing with Sadie, eating, and anything that doesn’t involve him sitting still.

More than likely this will be my last ‘A Day in the Life’ post. I recapped each month for the first year, and then every two months thereafter. Our days are pretty similar now versus the ever-changing schedule of a newborn and baby under one.

Thursday, April 21

9:10 p.m. I put Cullen down for the night.

9:40 p.m. Cullen goes down for the night. We (for the life of us) cannot get him down before 9 p.m. these days. I think the fact it is still daylight until 9:30 p.m. is affecting this.

Friday, April 22

6:30 a.m. I wake up. (Woohoo! A miracle, he actually slept through the night again! We’re on day five, but keep in mind the 5 or 6 days prior to that he was up at least once each night.) I put on my running clothes on, brush my teeth, and get ready to go running.

7:00 a.m. I head out the door for my run. I have an easy 6 mile run with 4 striders at the end. I’m racing tomorrow, so it is just an easy run in preparation for the race.



7:55 a.m. I return from my run. Cullen is already up (that little stinker), which means he only slept 10 hours. We sit on the potty for a while (no peeing), change his diaper and clothes, and then hang out with Craig for a bit while he gets ready.

8:10 a.m. Head downstairs to get some breakfast. I make breakfast for myself and get breakfast ready for Cullen: dry cereal (we’re out of milk), clementine orange, mashed avocado, and half an English muffin.

8:30 a.m. I eat breakfast. This is pretty much what I have every morning these days: quick-cooking steel-cut oats with chia seeds, hemp hearts, dates, and peanut coconut butter.


8:40 a.m. I clean up the kitchen.

8:50 a.m. We go into the living room, so I can stretch. Cullen plays with his toys, and we watch new stories about the life of Prince on TV. Growing up in MN, we would occasionally drive past his studio, which makes it kind of surreal.

9:20 a.m. We FaceTime with my parents.

9:50 a.m. Finish FaceTiming with my parents, and now Cullen is wanting to go outside. He gets his coat and hat on, and plays outside while I answer e-mails and start this post.


10:40 a.m. I see Cullen has a poopy diaper, so we go upstairs to change it. We also sit on the potty again (once again, no pee) and read books.

10:50 a.m. I take a shower and get ready for the day. I make the bed, pick up the bedrooms, and take breaks to play with Cullen while getting ready.

11:45 a.m. We head downstairs for lunch. We have a couple of snacks: crackers for Cullen, Cheeriors and dried cranberries for myself. Cullen plays in a pot of water, and then decides to dip his crackers in the water and suck off the water. I do a little bit of computer work.

12:05 p.m. Now my stomach is really grumbling, so I actually start making something and feed Cullen a proper lunch as well.

12:15 p.m. Craig comes home for lunch. He doesn’t always come home, so it is a nice surprise to see him.

12:30 p.m. Nap time for Cullen. I take him upstairs, check his diaper, and change him out of his wet clothes from playing in the water. Up until this week I have done our bedtime routine for nap time as well [close curtains, turn lamp on, give him his pacifiers (He likes to have one is in mouth and one in each hand.), get the blanket, and then read about 3 books.], but this week I started just putting him in his crib without reading the books, and he has actually been falling asleep on his own. (It only took us 1.5 years to get to this point!)

12:35 p.m. I eat my lunch: tofu, gnocchi, grape tomatoes, and peppers.


12:55 p.m. I spend the next hour cleaning up the kitchen and picking up the house. I also clean a couple toilets, fold some laundry, take the trash out, and sweep the floors.


1:50 p.m. I plop myself on the couch with my computer and work on athlete plans and this blog post. I try to at least get off my feet during his nap time since I’m on my feet so much during the day. I also (always) have plans of taking a nap but that never happens. There have been weeks I’ve napped once or twice, but it is rare. It helps that he is sleeping better, but I’m sure my body could still use the extra sleep with all my training.

I also send silly selfies to Craig.


2:45 p.m. My sister calls, so we chat for a while.

3:00 p.m. Cullen wakes up.

3:10 p.m. I go and get Cullen. We sit on the potty again, this time success! I dress Cullen, and then we get ready to go run errands.

3:35 p.m. We go to Target and Costco. We get stocked up on all sorts of food since we were very low at home.

5:25 p.m. We finally return home. (Isn’t it crazy how long it takes to go to only two stores with a toddler?) Craig’s home, so I ask him if he wants to go get my bib and then some dinner.

5:35 p.m. Craig, Cullen, and I go and pick up my bib for the 5K tomorrow. (Once again I don’t know how this takes us so long.)

6:30 p.m. We head to Bear’s Tooth Grill for some dinner. Even though I had just bought a bunch of food, I didn’t feel like I had much for an actual meal. . . .why is that?

Waiting to get dinner.



7:40 p.m. We return home. I unpack all of the groceries. I also take breaks to get more food for Cullen, pack my lunch for tomorrow, and help Cullen with various things.

8:45 p.m. Craig puts Cullen down for the night. Well, attempts to put him down.

9:00 p.m. I finally get to sit down and finish this blog post.

9:05 p.m. Or not. . . .Cullen went from talking to fussing, so now I go get him out of his crib because this means he isn’t tired.

9:07 p.m. I go back to working on this blog post and watching a Prince special on TV.

9:30 p.m. I take Cullen up to his room and go through the bedtime routine again.

9:45 p.m. Back downstairs to finally finish this blog post.

10:30 p.m. I get ready for bed.

10:45 p.m. Lights out!

The end.

1 Comment

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: