Stepping out the front door is definitely the hardest part of running!
Even for me, I could easily find a million other things to do to keep my occupied or distract me from running. But I always have to remind myself that I will always be thankful I did run—otherwise I will feel guilty!! Probably not the best way to feel, but it is the truth. I know I will regret it if I don’t get out for my daily morning run!
Distance: 5 miles
Time: 44 minutes
Weather: a balmy 45* (!)
I often don’t rave about my cooking, probably because I am too hard on myself and have high standards for myself, but this soup blew me out of the water!
Potato & Kale Soup
This hearty bowl of soup screams (healthy) comfort food for a chilly, fall day!
The bites of potato and kale are quite delicious but the bacon in this soup puts it over the top!
I loved the bites of kale and would probably add even more next time!
bacon + kale = two of the husband’s favorite foods!
Potato & Kale Soup
(Slightly adapted from this recipe.)
2 strips of bacon, cut into bite-sized pieces
1/2 medium onion, chopped
2 small carrots, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 medium yellow potatoes, chopped
2 cups kale, chopped and loosely packed
1-1/2 teaspoons sea salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1-1/4 teaspoons paprika
1/2 cup half and half
1. In a medium-sized pot, cook the bacon over medium heat. Cook until bacon fat becomes visible.
2. Increase the heat to medium-high and add the onion and carrots. Cook for 3 minutes.
3. Add garlic and cook for additional 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
4. Add potatoes and cook for 2 minutes.
5. Add water until the potatoes are just covered. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
6. Add kale and cook for 1 minute or just until wilted.
7. Stir in the paprika, salt, and pepper.
8. Mash some of the potatoes (but not all of them) with a potato masher.
9. Stir in the half-and-half.
What is your favorite comfort food?
Honestly, I don’t know if I have one. . . . maybe breads/carbs of any sorts??