Running With a Cold

January 1, 2017

New Years Eve 2016 was kind of a bust for me, but I did get to spend the evening with my family relaxing and watching Fuller House, so I am not too upset.

Saturday morning I ran 11 miles with a friend. Unfortunately it didn’t go that well and my hip bothered me most of the run. I did run on beach-like snow the first 2 miles of the run, so my hips were working harder and having to work in ways they don’t normally work when running. I’m not sure if it was that or maybe the steroid shot is wearing off. Either way I’m playing it safe and laying low for a couple of days before I try running again.

I then worked at the store until 4 p.m. When I got home, Craig, Cullen, and I got ready to go to the Northern Lights Resolution Run. I had decided I wouldn’t race it and instead push Cullen in the stroller because I thought he’d have a lot of run looking at all the lights and watching everyone run. (Oh, the sacrifices you make for your children.) We got all of our things together and started driving there a little after 5 p.m. On our way to the race, Cullen’s eyelids started to get really heavy, and I knew that was a bad sign as he had not had a nap that day. As soon as we got there, I jumped out of the car so I could pick up our bibs before the race started. When I finally met up with Craig minutes before the race was to start, he had Cullen in the stroller but Cullen was fast asleep. We went back and forth if it was worth it to still run/walk the race, but I decided it was kind of pointless since we were mostly doing it for Cullen. We could have tried to wake him up, but I always feel bad waking a sleeping baby, so we headed back for the car. Of course Cullen woke up as soon as I pulled him out of his stroller. After the race we had made plans to go to Craig’s parent’s house to hang out there and watch season two of Fuller House (We are obsessed!!), so we headed to their house. We hung out and watched a handful of episodes, and then I went to bed at 10:30 p.m. because I am trying to kick a cold and my stomach didn’t feel great. In the end it was still fun and relaxing, but I do wish we could have done the race. Oh well, there’s always next year.

This hat makes me laugh. I’m not sure what the Brooks’ North Pole Run Club is, but it seems fitting since there is a North Pole, Alaska. . . . .and Alaska pretty much is the North Pole.

This entire last week I have been fighting a cold. It has mostly been a stuffy nose, which is mostly just annoying during the day as I have to blow my nose every two minutes, but it has made sleeping very difficult at night. I’ve been waking up every couple of hours with a dry mouth since I can’t breathe through my nose. So while I want to sleep it off in order to get better, it hasn’t been very feasible.

I continued to run for the first several days of this cold, but after a week of no improvement and not feeling much better, I decided to lay low today and probably tomorrow as well.

Usually if I am sick from my neck and above, I will continue to run. I find once I get running, the congestion doesn’t bother me that much, and I’m able to run without much trouble. Sometimes it almost seems like you can ‘run out’ the sickness. However, the times I am sick below my neck, I usually choose to forgo the run. Those sickness are usually more severe (stomach flu, fever, body aches, etc.), so I know it isn’t worth trying to run. I am trying to be better about taking time off at the start of an illness in hopes of shortening the duration of it rather than pushing myself until I am completely exhausted and the illness lasts much longer. (This is still a work in progress for me.)

I really wanted to hit 40 miles this week, but it will have to wait. As much as I wanted to run today, I knew it was in my best interest to rest instead.

Here is what I did run this week:

Monday6 miles

Tuesday7 miles with 4 x 800 meters

Wednesday – 45 minutes weight lifting

Thursday6 miles (easy run in the morning)

Friday4 miles (on the treadmill at the gym) + 30 minutes of weights

Saturday11 miles (with a friend)

Sunday – off

Total: 34 miles

P.S. I am hoping to hear back from an orthopedic surgeon in the next couple of days regarding the prognosis of my torn labrum. I had my MRI results sent to a doctor in Minnesota, and I am hoping he will be able to tell me is surgery is necessary or not. I’ll let you guys know as soon as I find out!

%d bloggers like this: