I have been feeling really good on my runs this week! And on top of that, it is Friday—what could be better?!?
Distance: 7 miles
Average pace: 8:07 minutes/mile
Comments: A little slower today, but I took it easy in preparation for my long run tomorrow.
I’m doing it again and giving up sweets/desserts and cleaning up my diet for this next training cycle.
You may remember, I gave up desserts for the Boston Marathon. During that time, I didn’t have desserts from the end of December until the Boston Marathon on April 15. It took some discipline, but it wasn’t impossible. I knew I had to go into it with the mentality that it was all or nothing. I found this easier than saying, “oh, I’ll just try to cut back on the sweets here and there.”
After the marathon, I enjoyed some sweet treats pretty regularly like this ice cream cone in Boston, but there have been second (and sometimes third) helpings of desserts at potlucks and picnics, which I want to eliminate. (I don’t dare keep anything in the house because I end up eating it when I shouldn’t.)
Honestly, the biggest reason I want to give up desserts again is to try and get down to my race weight for all the races I am running this summer. I know this is a touchy subject for some, so I apologize if this strikes a chord with anyone. I don’t want you to think I am trying to encourage you to do the same. I just want to share my experiences and keep myself accountable by posting this for others to see. As a disclaimer: I am not going to starve myself or do anything extreme. I will still be consuming plenty of calories.
I am also setting a few other goals for myself in order to optimize my training because I really want to achieve the goals I set for myself! Most of these goals are to optimize my training but a couple are for my pocketbook as well.
– Purchase only two decaf coffee beverages from the coffee shop each week. No caffeinated coffee at work (so I can sleep at night!) with the artificial creamers.
– Avoid artificial ingredients, added colors in foods, high fructose sweeteners, and other fake ingredients in my diet.
– Only one purchased lunch a week. I am usually very good at brown baggin’ it most days of the week, but I felt like I’ve been slipping these past few weeks.
– Be in bed by 9 p.m. (8:30 p.m. would be even better). This week I am ramping up the miles and definitely need to be up by 5 a.m. every morning in order to fit a run in before work, and I like my 8 hours of sleep.
– Complete two weight-lifting sessions each week. I really need to focus on getting my hamstring strong, so it does not flare up again. Plus, I would like some more definition to my upper body.
What is a goal you have for yourself this month?
How often do you purchase your lunch during the work week?