As soon as I walked through the front door after work tonight, dinner was already cooked and ready to be eaten!
Chicken Tortilla Soup was a cookin’ away all day while I played worked.
I have to admit, this was only the second time I’ve used our crock pot. (The first time I made steel cut oats overnight, but they didn’t turn out quite right.)
Before I could taste-test the soup though, I had some a runnin’ to do. I ran 5 miles at a moderate pace. This will be my last run before my half-marathon on Saturday.
My afternoon snack was going to be some trail mix, but as I was opening the container, two-thirds of it spilled out! 🙁 This was all I had to eat, so I was hopeful it would hold me over during my run.
soynuts + peanuts + cashews + dried cranberries + raisins + carob nibs
As soon as I got back from running, I went to pick up my bib for the Zombie Half-Marathon on Saturday.
Finally it was time to try the soup!
This soup was a success! It was flavorful, and I loved all the different ingredients. The only thing I would change would be to reduce the amount of water. I like hearty soups!
Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
(Based off this recipe)
- 1-1/2 cups shredded, cooked chicken
- 1 can (15 oz.) whole peeled tomatoes, mashed
- 1 can (10 oz.) red enchilada sauce
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (4 oz.) chopped green chile peppers
- 1 can (15.5 oz.) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup frozen corn
- Place all ingredients in slow cooker and stir to combine. Cook on low for 8 hours. (I cooked mine for 9 hours and everything was still okay.)
- Top with optional ingredients: tortilla chips, cheddar cheese, lime, and/or cilantro.
What is your favorite thing to make in the crock pot?