I wish I had more time to bake during the week, but it just isn’t possible. I’ve made it my goal though to set aside one night during the week for baking, and last night happened to be that night! 🙂
I love crunchy foods and sweet foods, therefore I love graham crackers! 🙂 However, as my palate has developed higher expectations, traditional graham crackers just don’t cut it anymore. Then I saw a recipe for homemade graham crackers, and it was absolutely necessary I make these as soon as possible!
Homemade Graham Crackers
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup + 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons canola oil
1 tablespoon applesauce
2 tablespoons molasses
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup milk
1. Whisk both flours, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt together in a bowl.
2. Make a well in the middle of the dry mixture and add canola oil, applesauce, molasses, pure maple syrup, and vanilla. Stir to combine until a crumbly mixture forms.
3. Add milk and knead with hands until a ball forms.
4. Secure a piece of parchment paper to the cupboard and dust with flour. Roll ball of dough out until 1/8 inch thick.
5. Cut uneven edges off (with a pizza cutter) into a rectangle. Then cut into smaller pieces to resemble the shape of graham crackers; pierce with a fork. Scrap dough can be rolled out again.
6. Bake in 350 degree oven for 16 minutes.
7. Cool and break into pieces.
My, oh my, were these babies DEE-licious! I had to stop myself from eating them all! 😉
Most of them were moderately crunchy, but I rolled out some of them thinner and those babies got really crunchy (like regular graham crackers) and they were divine! Next time I will have to be sure to roll all of them out thinner!!
Dinner the past two nights has been exactly the same: a mixture of comfort food and healthy food.
Comfort food for the cool, fall weather outside.
Grilled cheese + tomato soup.
This tomato soup is by far the best tomato soup I’ve ever had! You must try this STAT!
We are well into week number six of school, but I still feel like I’m barely holding my head above the water. I really need this weekend to get caught up–and worked ahead–on errands and projects:
– printing photos
– washing my car
– making homemade bread
– meals planned out for the week.
With being gone last weekend, I did not plan a single meal for us to eat this week! Good thing Craig was kind enough to go to the grocery store to stock our fridge with the essentials to get us through the week!
I really want to have all these little projects done before Monday, so I can actually relax and destress after work next week!
Overall, my running has been going okay this week. Nothing spectacular though.
I am still sore from Sunday!! So I’ve been taking it easy and not doing any speed workouts or anything intense.
I will hopefully be putting in about 30 miles this week.
I’m off to bed!!